I'm Back and a Question

I am back without an excuse for my absence...other than to say that when the kids got out of school June 14th, we've concentrated on enjoying our summer. Swim lessons, bike rides, long walks, projects around the house, etc.

My husband and I had a week of no kids (the first time in eight years), so we decided to get out of the house for a couple of days.

Here are some pictures of beautiful Lake Crescent on the Olympic Peninsula the morning of the 4th of July. I loved how still and quiet the lake was.



Then we decided to visit some of the ports in the area including Port Angeles, Port Townsend, Port Ludlow, Port Hadlock, and Port Gamble. I love the little waterfront towns and enjoy looking at the beautiful boats. These pictures are from Port Townsend.


This lovely old Victorian hotel is where my husband and I stayed for our first anniversary in 2000. It was beautiful inside with period furnishings. We also had a 6 week old baby in tow back then. Not so, this time!!


I experienced a first (for me) on the 4th of July. Kayaking!! My husband used to own his own kayak. This time, we rented the double yellow one on the right. This is a picture after we got back. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of us inside it or while we were out on the Sound. We left the camera inside the store so it wouldn't be ruined.

I teased my husband, Keith, about the kayaking being great couples therapy. I had to completely trust him because I was in front and couldn't turn around and watch him, and he had to tell me which way to paddle in order for us to be in sync. It was all about communication and trust! As well as a beautiful way to enjoy the water up close and personal! It was fun seeing the jellyfish, crabs and even a curious sea otter who poked his head up to watch us. We had one moment of terror as a sailboat came straight at us and veered off at the last second. Whew! When the wind came up, it was like we were paddling in place - we just didn't go anywhere fast. So we turned around and headed back. We can't wait to go again and take the kids!


The detail of these old buildings is absolutely gorgeous! Sigh.....


It sounds as if most of you had a fabulous 4th as well! So glad you did...

My question now is this - Is my banner absolutely gigantic?? On my computer it looks fine, but the other day when I looked on my husband's, I was mortified to see it was huge! I've got to figure out how to make a prettier blog - I'm working on it.

(edited to add: I'm working on my header and the look a bit. Have gotten both answers as to my header being huge - a yes and a no. So must work out the kinks...ugh! It is no longer HUGE, just blah!)

Have a lovely Friday the 13th. We're going to a potluck tonight and I'm going to make a raspberry cobbler. Have never made a raspberry one before, but thought I'd try it. I'll let you know how it turns out!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos! Rare to see Lake Crescent so calm.

Your banner looks good to me.

Alex
Port Hadlock

Anita said...

Thanks, Alex!

Anonymous said...

Your banner is gigantic on my computer...seems it was one day last week when it changed sizes.

Lori said...

What beautiful photos, great for scrap-booking if you do! Hope the rasberry is delious, cause just the thought of it makes my mouth water! Lori!

LivingTheLife said...

Love your blog...responding to your "distress" call about the "HUGE HEADER SYNDROME"...I've heard that this bewildering condition is going around...for an example check out my blog at http://www.tpmom4ever.blogspot.com
you want to talk about "HUGE HEADER SYNDROME...WOWZZZERSS...mine looks as though it's a billboard in Times Square...I can't tell you why, how, or what the heck causes this...but a lot of us are coming down with it...but I think your blog...at least on my noncompliant site...is just fine...the lettering for Cottage Affair is bold but beautiful...OH!! Wait isn't that a soap opera???...well...I digress...but for my money...your site is fabulous...I've enjoyed reading it...

Now off to find out why blog boss isn't letting me post pictures...a little investigation work is needed...for I am completely without brains when trying to do anything technically advanced!!

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

Raspberry cobbler, yummy!!! Great to have you back, but yes it is summer and lots to do! I don't ever remember having a week with just my husband. That had to be fun.
Ele

Gayla said...

I love your photos and your blog. Your banner is bold and pretty. There aren't any pictures on it, though? Did you used to have photos? I get mixed up. You don't need them if you don't want them.. I think blogger has issues right now. I have been struggling with leaving comments on sites vs. some kind of flickering warning that resets constantly. When I post there is a mirror image thing that goes on and on inside the post box... drives me nutty. Have a good sunday.

linda t said...

Oh my gosh Anita, your pics are amazing! And the raspberries are to die for!
LOVE your blog... looks good to me!
Glad you are back!